(Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.)
Hygge Ideas for Summer
The Danish concept of Hygge has gained increasing popularity over the last few years. At first thought, it might bring to mind visions of sitting around the fireplace, cuddled up in a cozy blanket, drinking a cup of hot chocolate. And while that is definitely an accurate portrait of hygge, it’s also limiting. Hygge as a whole embraces shared meals, natural elements, and finding simple pleasure in the moment. Summer is a perfect time to incorporate these elements into your life. Mother nature is at the top her game, the days are longer and brighter, and time slows down a bit. If you are looking for summer hygge ideas, there is no better place to start than in the kitchen. As the heart of the home and the gathering place for so many moments, start by adding a little summer hygge decor and sharing a few simple, refreshing recipes with your family.
7 Ways to Summer Hygge Your Kitchen
- Plant an herb garden and use fresh herbs in your recipes. This could range from an elaborate multi-herb garden to a basil plant you picked up at the grocery store and placed in a pretty pot. Do what works for you, the goal is relaxed and cozy, not stressed out perfection.
- Enjoy a glass of fruit infused water. Just pour a glass, sit down, relax, and enjoy this refreshing taste of summer.
- Eat dinner by candlelight. Even if it’s still light outside, the candle will add a warm glow and add tranquility to your dinner table.
- Open the windows and let the sunshine and fresh air in. Air conditioning is a fantastic modern convenience but, when the weather permits, a nice breeze floating through your kitchen brings in the scent of nature and gets the air circulating in your kitchen. Natural light is good for the soul, so enjoy its abundance this time of year.
- Add a vase of flowers to your kitchen table. Fresh flowers make any space instantly more beautiful and help bring the outdoors in.
- Add a few natural elements to your decor. A small bowl of shells or rocks your kids gathered on the beach will instantly bring fond memories to mind and make your kids feel proud that you are displaying their treasures. A wicker basket or tray to hold kitchen towels serves a dual purpose of keeping them handy and bringing an earthy feel to your kitchen.
- Eat from nature’s bounty. Fresh local produce is easy to be found this time of year. Enjoy fresh berries, corn on the cob, and plump tomatoes, served on your prettiest of dishes.
Enjoy Simple Summer Hygge Recipes
Download your free printable of 5 no-cook, no fuss, seasonal recipes that will instantly transform your kitchen into the simple bliss of summer hygge.