(Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links.)
Literally the Moistest Roasted Whole Chicken You will Ever Eat!
I’ve never really been a fan of whole roasted chickens. They’ve always seemed a bit high maintenance and the results never live up to the time and effort it takes to prepare. Having found myself with a fresh whole chicken from my local CSA in my freezer, I decided to consult the directions for cooking a whole chicken in my electric pressure cooker. Taking my fear of dry chicken into account, I upped both the amount of broth called for and the cooking time.
The results were AMaaaazing! This chicken was moist, fall off the bone deliciousness. I’ve got a completely new outlook on whole chicken now. And, with the leftovers, I threw together these BBQ Chicken Pizzas the next night!
A few notes:
While I do stock my pantry with ready made broth, one of my favorite discoveries has been “Better than Bouillon” broth bastes. (I am not affiliated with the company in any way and, honestly, do not buy it on Amazon. It’s much cheaper in your grocery store, I just wanted to give you a link to see a picture, if you’ve never heard of this. stuff. I only recently discovered it and use their chicken, beef, and lobster bases regularly.) When I’m making something that only requires a few cups of broth, I will use “Better than Bouillon” to make my own.
If you are looking for an quick easy gravy, I’ve yet to find a recipe that works better than this one over at Genius Kitchen. Just use 2 1/2 cups of the broth/drippings combo left over in your Instant Pot and you’ll have an a pan full of delicious, homemade gravy in about 5 minutes.
This chicken is incredibly moist and juicy. Literally the best whole chicken you’ll ever make, all thanks to your Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cooker!
Whole Chicken – size will vary, just make sure that it fits in your instant pot. Recipe was tested using a 6.3 lb chicken.
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil
- Turn on the “brown/saute” feature on your Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker.
- Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oil together in a small bowl.
- Rub half of the seasoning mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into your pre-heated cooker, breast side down for 2-3 minutes, allowing the skin to crisp up. While the chicken is in the cooker, rub the remaining spice mixture over the bottom of the chicken.
- Using a large pair of tongs, carefully flip the chicken over to the other side and allow the bottom to crist for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and place on a large platter.
- Add 3 cups chicken broth to the instant pot.
- Place metal instant pot trivet into the pot and carefully place chicken on the trivet.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and make sure that it is locked in place.
- Using whatever settings your machine designates for meat, set the timer to 40 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is up, carefully allow the pressure valve to release steam.
- Very carefully remove chicken to a platter. It will be very tender and likely to begin falling apart!
Do not be afraid if this recipe calls for more broth and a longer cooking time than you’ve found elsewhere. It really does make a perfect, moist, fall off the bone chicken!
Keywords: Instant Pot Roasted Whole Chicken