(Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.)
As a rule, I am not a “freezer cooking” kind of gal. For the most part, my family enjoys fresh meals and I personally do not believe that most meals taste the same defrosted and reheated. One of the few exceptions in our house is shredded chicken. I like to cook a batch (usually about 4 pounds, which yields about 8 cups) of chicken at a time and divide it into freezer bags. When you know that you will be short on time, those little bags of chicken can be a lifesaver and you can find countless ways to use them as a meal starter. If you’re looking for ideas, try this BBQ Chicken Naan Flatbread Pizza or Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Salad.
How to Use Shredded Chicken
- Chicken tacos
- As a pizza topping
- In a wrap or sandwich (Pulled BBQ!)
Chicken Breasts (as many as you’d like, just do not overfill your crockpot)
Seasoning of your choice
Water or chicken broth
Once you’ve shredded the chicken, allow it to cool until you can handle it without burning yourself. Divide the chicken into equal portions amongst freezer bags. (I divide the chicken into 2 cup bags and then divvy up any leftovers evenly between the bags. You should divide the chicken into portions that make sense for your family.)
Stock Your Freezer with Shredded Chicken & Have Meals in Minutes All Month Long!
This recipe is the Secret to Meals in Minutes!
- Chicken Breasts (as many as you’d like, just do not overfill your crockpot)
- Seasoning of your choice (I usually just use salt and pepper)
- Water or chicken broth
- Place chicken breasts in your crockpot and season with salt and pepper or your choice of seasoning blend.
- Next, pour a cup or two of water or broth over the chicken breasts, depending upon the amount of chicken you are cooking. For 4 pounds, I usually add a cup of water.
- Cook on low heat for about 8 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a baking dish and use two forks to shred.
- Allow chicken to cool until you can handle it without burning yourself.
- Divide the chicken into freezer bags. (I’ve found that 2 cup portions works the best for my family.)
Keywords: Crockpot Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Recipe
Summer Hygge Recipes
5 Summertime Hygge Recipes - No Cooking Required