(Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links.)
It’s Kale Season! If you belong to a CSA Share or have been to your local Farmer’s Market, you’ve probably come home with a bunch or two of this good for you green stuff. While I love kale, after a while I get a little burned out on kale chips and kale sausage, so I decided to start off the season with something a little different. This Chicken Sausage Kale Pasta was inspired by a recipe I found over at The Tasty Bite. Adding chicken sausage turns this into a filling yet still lite dinner entre and fresh pasta upgrades any dish. (This recipe was made with Ohio City Pasta’s basil and chive fettucine. Check the refrigerator section of your grocery store or a local market for fresh pasta. Seriously, it’s in a totally different category of yum than anything you will find in the boxed pasta isle.)Print
Leafy kale adds texture, flavor, and a healthy flair to this pasta dish.
- 1 lb chicken sausage
- 16 oz fresh (found in the refridgerated section) pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small vidalia onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- Boil water and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Cut chicken sausage into 1/2 inch slices.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat and saute chicken sausage until lightly browned and cooked through (approx 5-7 minutes). Remove from pan, set aside, and keep warm.
- In the same skillet you cooked the chicken sausage, heat remaining olive oil and saute the onions until just softened. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to saute until fragrant, approx 3 minutes.
- Add kale and water to pan. Continue to saute until the kale wilts, approx 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and parmesan cheese to the skillet and stir until everything is well mixed. Top with additional parmesan cheese and serve.
Keywords: Chicken Sausage Kale Garlic Parmesan Pasta